Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Pause: Why are you doing what you're doing?

This week I've been utterly overwhelmed with all of the different roles I am playing this semester.  I have my role as a student, as an RA, as an employee (in two separate positions), as prospective law student, as a friend, as a daughter, as a sister, as a girlfriend, and as a human being just trying to stay healthy.  To top it off, I discovered a crack in my windshield this morning that probably will need to be fixed before driving home for Spring Break at the end of this week.  I was gifted an awesome planner for Christmas that I've been using to schedule myself and prioritize projects.  At the beginning of the week I sat down to try and organize myself in this planner, scheduling out my days half hour by half hour, and I discovered that 24 hours in a day just simply is not enough.

I'm sure that most people can relate to the chaos of trying to fill more roles in life than you can count, regardless of your stage of life.  When something needs to go, though, what is the first thing?  I'll tell you that this week, for me, it was spending time with God.  Thank goodness that He's shouting loud enough for me to pause and pay attention to Him today, only halfway through the week, before my head explodes.

As I sit in our local coffee shop I am reminded that of all my roles only one really matters: my role as a follower of Christ.  If I'm seeking Him, everything else will work out.  I took a moment this morning to pause and listen to Him, looking through the red text in the New Testament, and was drawn to a fairly popular passage in Mark.  Jesus has just been asked which of the commandments is the most important and this is His answer: "Love the lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.  The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  There is no commandment greater than these" (Mark 12:30-31).

This reminds me that nothing is as important as loving God and loving His people.  I shouldn't be fulfilling these roles that I am overwhelmed by this week simply because they're items on my to-do list, but because God has called me to each of them in this moment of life.  Every item that I check off should be to God's glory, even the most tedious task stops feeling stressful when its done to fulfill God's command to love Him and His people.  The papers I write this week are for God's glory so that I can learn about this world that He's created, the copy and paste data entry that I do this week is for God's glory so that I can share the load with coworkers and earn money to use to further His kingdom.  The conversations I have are to connect and love the people God has guided me to know.

Today Christ re-centered me on Him, and I challenge you to let Him do the same for you.  I guarantee that even the longest of to-do lists will seem less stressful when you are reminded of your call to life.  Your purpose here is to love God and love His people - do everything with that in your heart, and trust that God will help you find the time to do what needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment