Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Voice of Truth

The past couple of months have been pretty difficult for me, compared to what seemed like pure bliss last year. Three people, right in a row, made the same assumption about me, and who I am as a person. They were completely and totally wrong, but for a little while, I believed it. I thought that maybe I don't see myself clearly, and I really am what they said I was. I was tired of being used, or, rather, I was tired of people trying to use me. Usually they didn't succeed, though they always managed to make me feel terrible about myself. There were briefs sections of time when things seemed like they were going to get better, but something would happen again, and it seemed as though it was never going to end.
Then, right after the third person made those incorrect assumptions about me, I decided that they were wrong. They had absolutely no right to say those things to me, and absolutely no reason to believe those things about me. I am loved, and I love myself, no matter what they say. If I didn't let what they thought or said affect me, then it couldn't be true. That evening, I stood in one of the rooms at our church with three boys after their confirmation class. One of them pulled out his iPod, and began to play the song "Voice of Truth" by Casting Crowns.
The song has a really nice message in it, about not believing what other people think about us, and not listening to what Satan says to try and discourage us. I stood in the room as the three boys sang along with the song, and even though they were completely off key, it was one of the most beautiful things that I had ever heard. I held back tears as I had the realization that it doesn't matter what those people think of me, God loves me, and that's all that's ever going to matter.
God loves each and everyone of us even more than we can comprehend, and it's Satan who comes after us, and tries to make us believe that we are worthless, and begin to wish that we weren't who we are. God is The Voice of Truth, The only One who we can ever count on to always show us what's real, and what isn't. God loves us for all of eternity, and He wants us to know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment